START DATE: September 2018
・Travel expenses to/from work location reimbursed
・10 days paid vacation (available after 6 months)
Berkeley House can assist in finding furnished or unfurnished accommodation with no initial move-in fees (commonly required in Japan). Teachers are responsible for their own rent and utility payments. Depending on the location, rent ranges from 80,000-100,000 yen per month including utilities.
・25-32 teaching hours
・Schedule: Monday – Friday, or Tuesday-Saturday. Two consecutive days off. Classes held between 9:00-21:00.
STUDENTS / CLASSES
・Include corporate office workers, professionals, and full-time students
・A combination of one-to-one, semi-private, and group lessons
• Teaching young language learners (Jr. High / High School, Colleges / Universities) and adults (Business English or General English).
• Administering Berkeley House level checks and helping assign textbooks based on language level and lesson focus.
• Keeping track of important lesson details on class Record Sheets. Submitting class and student reports by deadlines.
• Attending course orientations and development workshops.
• Regularly checking online lesson schedule system for updates and changes.
• Occasional academic support office work
The ideal candidate will be
• In possession of a four-year degree from an accredited university plus a CELTA, TESOL, TESL, or teaching certificate. (Candidates who have an MA/MS in any discipline plus a language teaching certificate are preferred.)
• Have at least two years’ experience teaching non-native speakers of English.
• Have an understanding of English grammar and sentence structure.
• Japanese language skills are not required, but a plus.
Up to twenty hours initial training is required for all Berkeley House teachers. This is to familiarize our teachers with Berkeley House methods, techniques, and materials. To begin teaching, new teachers must give a successful demonstration lesson at the end of training.
Course specific orientations will be held for certain positions. Attendance is mandatory to understand the program, students, and materials. Follow-up training and development is also required based on staff and student feedback.
Please submit the following materials to apply for the position:
1. Current CV.
2. Cover letter (please indicate where you saw the job posting).
3. Berkeley House Employment Applications (1 and 2)
*You will find application forms through our website. http://berkeleyhouse.co.jp/company/employment
Only applicants who submit all documents and pass the initial screening will be contacted. The application process consists of in-person or Skype interviews with the HR Manager, Program Manager, Department Manager, and possibly company President. Candidates will also be asked to present a 30-minute teaching demonstration.
We look forward to hearing from you!
About Berkeley House Language Center
We provide top-notch foreign language education to a large number of Japan's blue-chip corporations, government agencies, schools and private individuals. We are looking for instructors to teach English, Spanish, French, Russian, Turkish, Malay, Vietnamese, Mongolian, Thai, Chinese, Lao, Indonesian and Khmer for intensive courses held in Tohoku, Kanto, Shinetsu and Kansai areas in Japan.